Yummy Brown Rice Stew-Creation
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– 1 carrot, chopped small
– 5 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 2 tofurkey sausages, sun-dried tomato flavour, chopped up
– 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
Heat a large pot on medium heat, place in the coconut oil, once the oil is melted put in the onion, carrot, and garlic and stir. Once the veggies start to soften add in the tofurkey, and when it all starts to stick to the bottom, drop in the balsamic vinegar to get all the yummy flavours off the bottom.
– 1 large can ( ~ 800 mL) of crushed tomatoes
– spices! ( I like to use lots of cumin, some cayenne, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil, but you can use whatever you like! )
Add in the crushed tomatoes and spices and stir.
– 2 cups short grain brown rice (my fav!)
– 1/2 cup red lentils
Next add in the brown rice and lentils and stir, I always add in some more spices at this stage once you realize how big this recipe is!
Now you can add 4 cups of water to the pot, maybe a few more spices and salt, stir, and put the lid on and turn heat down to low, stir every 10 minutes until almost all moisture is absorbed into the lentils and rice, about 40 minutes, and then eat up! But let it cool down first!
This is also very yummy cold the next day for lunch, this recipe is huge so you will have lots of leftovers for lunches and such 🙂 Enjoy!